Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Are Teachers that are Parents Better Teachers?

Classroom Management boils down to knowing your students needs, allowing them time to learn and adjust, and being consistent across the board. Just like you are learning your students, they are learning you. They can pick up on when you do not mean what you say.
I believe that SOME of the best teachers are those that have children of their own or those that are around children all of the time. A parent knows when their child is really sick or just faking, when their child is telling the truth or lying, and can sense when there is a problem, even when nothing is said.
Because I treat my students like they are my own, I pick up on the same types of things. So I know when they really do not have to go to the bathroom but want to meet a friend, when they have given up and need some reassurance that they CAN do it, or when something has happen that I missed or was done in secret and I can pull that student to the side and find out the details. I can quickly settle these things and keep the class moving forward.
I am not saying that all teachers that are parents are great, but those that pay attention while raising their own children seem to have an advantage. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment