Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Are Your Students Listening?

Have you ever been talking to your child and are completely convinced that they are not listening to you? Only to discover that they can repeat what you said verbatim. My birth children do this to me all the time and it amazes me that while they seemed so disconnected from the world around them, they are in-tune to what is going on.

My students over the years have displayed many of the same qualities and it makes me think that in more ways than one, we do not give them enough credit! They are complex beings with the ability to multitask. We as adults think that they have to be seated just right with their eyes on the speaker, to be engaged and listening to what is to what is going on. This is not always true.

I have taught students that were autistic and all over the place. Just as my birth children could repeat my instruction or tell me about what the pastor said at a church service, my students could explain and identify the topic and/or strategy that I was trying to convey.

I am learning to not require my students to be in their seat hour upon hour everyday. They have a little flexibility to stand if they need to and don't have to keep their eyes continuously on me. There are rules that all must adhere to, but there is room for small adjustments. This again comes back to knowing your students, everyone may not be able to handle the extra liberties. For those that can, meet them where they are, remembering fairness stresses what is best for the individual child. My students and I are learning together what is acceptable and expedient for all parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment